Floating just above the surface of the Indian Ocean, the islands of the Maldives are a glamorous playground for sun seekers and explorers of the undersea world! The picture perfection of the islands is matched only by the staggering richness of the coral reefs that lie between the atolls, attracting divers from across the globe.
Best time to visit:
December to April for nice weather, manta rays and whale sharks; or May to December for schooling hammerheads.
Top things to see:
- Sunrise over the surf from a palm – draped coral sand beach,
- The mesmerising underwater world within metres of your beach towel,
- Easy going villages and the ruins of the British WW2 air base on Gan island.
Top things to do:
- Sunbathe on some of the worlds most beautiful beaches,
- Dive or snorkel on spectacular thilas and giris (isolated reefs), and kandus (deepwater channels),
- Hop on a boat (dhoni = traditional Maldivian boat) to an outlying island.
Best known for:
Coral atolls, white sand, palm trees, coconuts, honeymoons, world – class diving.
The highest point in the Maldives is just 2.4 m above sea level – if sea levels continue to rise, plans are afoot to move the entire population to a new homeland overseas.
Wow – white sand beaches, a mesmirising world under the sea and coconuts… take me there now! As always if any of you have any stories or photos from your trip to the Maldives you would like to share with us… we would LOVE to hear from you! Simply e-mail us at: OntheQT.email@example.com!
Many Thanks to Heffernan’s Travel for partnering on this post.