Sponsored by Heffernan’s Travel
Each month we are going to pick an amazing location with Heffernans travel and this month it is Dubai. Here at OnTheQT we recently took a trip to Dubai, a glamorous city in the United Arab Emirates renowned for luxurious shopping, innovative architecture and a lively nightlife scene! The best tips are always local knowledge or from people who have been to the city and explored themselves… so we are going to be that person for you!! We’re here to share some of our top tips from Dubai!
- Go on a desert safari: Ever wanted to take a trip to the desert? Well here is your chance! It is a must do to visit the magical Arabian desert (we went on our tour with Symphony tourism) We were picked up in a lovely jeep which we shared with 4 other passengers and headed straight for the Arabian Desert, stopping only once to reduce the tyre pressure. As soon as the jeep tyres hit the desert sand, we started an activity known as sand bashing! Our driver literally drove up, and over steep sand dunes and down the other side, it was like a rollercoaster on land! We arrived to the top of one of the largest dunes just on time to catch sunset, it was gorgeous! We were then dropped to a camp where we enjoyed several other activities including: camel rides, quad biking, henna painting, shisha bars, traditional dress up booths, a belly dancing/ fire show and a tasty BBQ dinner! As we drove back towards Dubai in the dark across the desert I scanned through the days photos and thought to myself how lucky I really was!
- Eat some delicious food: As a refreshing snack in the hot sunshine I ate as much fruit as I possibly could! Lychees were my absolute favourite! I had never tried them before, and although they look a bit daunting to even attempt to eat at first… its like an explosion of juice and flavour once you take a bite! (Just watch out for the stone inside!) I also enjoyed a fantastic meal at a Lebanese restaurant called Burj Al Hamam located right next to the Burj Khalifa! It was the perfect view as we enjoyed deliciously exotic cuisine and rich fruity red wine!
- Get lost in a giant shopping mall: If you like to shop…. you will LOVE the shopping malls in Dubai – all easily accessible on the metro! With some of the biggest shopping malls in the world… you’ll be sure to shop till you drop! We particularly loved the Dubai Mall which has an aquarium inside, and the Emirates Mall (which is the biggest shopping mall in the world) and among other things has an an indoor ski- slope! No wonder we couldn’t find our way out! #Impressive
- Watch the fountain display at the Burj Khalifa: You will most definitely have to visit the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world! There is a fantastic fountain display to enjoy, which is set on the 24 acre Burj Lake featuring jets as high as 140 metres (the equivalent to a 45 storey building). The display was designed by the same creator as the Bellagio fountains in Las Vegas! The beam of light shining upwards from the fountain can be seen from over 20 miles away, it’s even visible from space!!
- Visit the Global Village: The global village is similar to a mini theme park with a separate section for each country around the world! There were stalls, street food, traditional clothes and shows to match each country, it was a great cultural experience! I found myself making a brand new bucket list of countries to visit! Definitely worth a trip!
Book your Dubai Trip today with Heffernans Travel
Blogger: Lauren Lucy Crowley