Nothing beats a new destination for a hike in the fresh air! Below are a list of some of our favourite places to go on a hike or walk. Have you any favourite walks or hikes you love in Ireland? Let us know below and we will go check them out. We always love finding new gems to add to the list. Always remember mountain areas are very changeable places so be sure to check the forecast before you go so you can pick an appropriate route. If you are unfamiliar with an area, be sure to get an experienced guide to go with you.
- Torc Mountain Walk in Killarney is one of our favourite walks at the weekend. It is about 7.5km and takes about 2.5 hours. It’s also a manageable walk with kids so makes for the perfect family outing at the weekend.
- Carrauntoohil Mountain in Kerry. It is around 13km and takes about 6 hours. Carrauntoohil is the highest mountain in Ireland at 1,038.6 metres and is the central peak of the MacGillycuddy’s Reeks, Ireland’s highest mountain range.
- Knockmealdown Mountains and the Galtees – Now these are hikes to add to your bucket list. Explore the beauty, panoramic views and nature all around you. The Knockmealdown Mountains is a mountain range located on the border of Tipperary and Waterford. The Galtees are Ireland’s highest inland mountain range. It is such a spectacular experience and one not to be missed.
- Coomasaharn Horseshoe Walk, Glenbeigh, Kerry. A moderate 12km hiking trail over several mountain peaks around the stunning Coomasaharn Lake near Glenbeigh village, Co. Kerry. This walk is a pure hidden gem one for the bucket list.
- Benbulbin and Kings Mountain Loop Walk, Co. Sligo. It is about 8km in distance and takes around 4 hours to complete. Undoubtedly Ireland’s most distinctive mountain formed during the ice age by massive glaciers segmenting the landscape.
- The Diamond Hill Trail, Galway. This trail in Connemara National Park takes you on paths, a boardwalk and steps up Diamond Hill to the summit. It is worth the climb with spectacular views all around. Overall it is a strenuous hike and takes around two to three hours.
- Comeragh Mountains, Waterford. There are a vast array of walks for you to explore in the Comeragh Mountains, including the famous Coumshigaun Lake loop walk. It is a 7.5km walking route around the Coumshingaun Corrie Lake and the surrounding mountains in County Waterford. The Coumshingaun Corrie Lake is known as the jewel of the Comeragh Mountains. We would also recommend the Mahon Falls hike. It is an easy family walk and a very popular one all year. It is a linear walk to the foot of the breathtaking Mahon Falls. Water falls from the highest point in the Comeragh Mountains and makes for a spectacular view.
- Glen of Aherlow, Tipperary – The Glen of Aherlow is a valley located between Slievenamuck and the Galtee Mountains in County Tipperary. The Glen of Aherlow is the dream for any walker as it offers beautiful walks to meet all walking levels and abilities. Enjoy your surroundings of mountains, forests, rivers, lakes and stunning landscapes.
- Cuilcagh Mountain Walk Legnabrocky Trail in Co. Fermanagh. A 20km difficult loop walk taking 6.5 – 7 hours. Cuilcagh Mountain is the highest mountain in the Breifne area with its summit on the border between County Fermanagh in Northern Ireland and County Cavan in the Republic of Ireland.
- Slemish Mountain St. Patricks Pilgrim Path, Antrim. A short but strenuous 1.5km walk which takes around 1.5 hours to complete. Walk to the popular and iconic peak of Slemish Mountain located only 10km east of Ballymena in Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland.
Wrapping up for your hikes is very important, especially with the changeable Irish weather. I always get asked what we use for our outdoor adventures to keep warm and I must say I really like the Regatta Ireland clothing for outdoor activities. At the moment, they have an amazing sale on so I have linked a few of my favourite pieces below for both the gals and the guys!! From jackets, fleeces, leggings, hiking boots and much more. It’s all about layering while hiking in Ireland as the weather can be different every hour!!! Just click on the photos below to shop the item and your all set up for your next hike!
For the gals
For the guys…
*This post contains affiliate links meaning I can make a small % commission if sales are made as a result of this post. It does not affect the price of the item.