January is always an exciting month to start a new adventure. Many people are people heading off on a year long adventure or are heading away travelling for a few months. What I love about seeing people heading off on a big trip is seeing many people travelling solo. It is a great opportunity to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. When you travel solo, you end up creating friendships all over the world.
You make friends while travelling and at the end of your adventures you will have friends all over the world. Many people ask me what are the best ways to make friends while travelling. Well, I have been there and done it! I took a step outside my comfort zone and headed off on an adventure in the USA on my own for a few months. What I found was it took me completely out of my comfort zone and opened doors up to so many new opportunities and experiences. It gives you opportunity to immerse yourself in a new place, culture and meet local people. Many people ask ‘how will I make friends while travelling’ and this is one of the fears of solo travelling. Trust me, making friends while travelling is easier then you think. There are so many other people in the same boat as you and looking to make friends. Below are a few tips and tricks on making friends while having the adventure of your life:
- Stay in hostel dorms – This is one of the easiest ways to make friends while travelling solo. It is much easier to make conversation with the people around you by simply asking them ‘Where are you from’ or ‘How long are you travelling’ and the conversation will flow from there. Sometimes when you stay in private dorms, you don’t get this opportunity as easily.
- Make friends on transport – When your stuck in one place for a long time, it is easy to strike up conversation and create a new friendship. You never know, you might even find travel tips and tricks from your new friend. If you are both travelling together in one direction, you are bound to have something in common.
- Plan trips – Trips and tours are one of the best ways to meet people. Everybody is in the same boat. All you have to do to start a conversation is to pass a comment on something in the tour and the conversation will flow from there.
- Try a new activity – This is a great way to meet new people. You are all excited about trying something new! While on an activity, it is almost easier to get to know people. Learn people’s names, enjoy yourself and try to suggest dinner or drinks after the activitiy.
- Social Media – Put your online world to good use. Post a status on where you are travelling and see if anybody you know is around the meet up. They can also then introduce you to their friends. There are also specific groups for meeting people while travelling and you might be able to organise a group trip online before you go. Also meetup.com is another great way of meeting people in an area who have a common interest. The meet ups could be dinner, hikes, activities and much more.
- Volunteering is always a great way to meet new people. There are so many options. Not only will you make friends with like minded people but you will be making a difference in the world also.
‘Since there is nothing so well worth having as friends, never lose a chance to make them’. Francesco Guicciardini